Thursday, January 13, 2011

One of my favorite things

So if you can hear the song from the Sound of Music, "These are a Few of My Favorite Things" that is what has been going through my head when I think of what I made this week.  For those of you who know me well, I love my Greek cooking heritage.  I love Greek food (most of it anyways) but one of my absolute favorite things is a bread I make a few times a year.  My dad (who is greek) spelled it Tsoureke on the recipe but for those who wouldn't get the pronounciation it's called "too-RAY-kee".  There is nothing on earth like the smell or taste of it for me in my world. 

Anyways, I didn't get enough of it at Christmas time and opted to make another batch to enjoy...and we DO enjoy it.  It is a pretty simple enough thing to make--considering I'm not the greates bread maker out there--but if you are missing this one ingredient, it just won't taste the same.  It is called Machlebee (mak-LEH-bee) and it gives this bread a very unique aroma and flavor.  Delish!! 


Making this bread is pretty old school.  Everything is done by hand with not even a wooden spoon.  The dough initially rises for 2 hours before you braid it and let it rise again.


Once it rises again, you baste it with egg and bake it.  Truly it is one of my favorite smells in the world; even better than just bread or buns baking in the oven.


And to me, it is such a pretty bread too.  One I love to share with others like my neighbors and friends.  This is probably the biggest thing that's happened in my kitchen this week.  (it's been a pretty dull week, I guess) but it is fabulous!


1 comment:

  1. look how fancy you are! And thanks a lot...now i'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day!! haha!

    ReplyDelete